Powered By Blogger

Thursday 15 December 2011

Essay 3

Carrying Your Brother

How “He Aint Heavy, He’s My Brother” Relates To My life and Of Mice and Men.

By Cole Blake

Have you ever had to carry someone that you cared about on your back? The author of “He Aint Heavy, He’s My Brother” and my father know what it feels like. My father knows because he carries me. I also think George from Of Mice and Men knows what it is like from carrying Lennie. Those are only a few reasons why I think “He Aint Heavy, He’s My Brother” relates to my life and Of Mice and Men.

           TS To me, George is like the author of this book in the sense that he is carrying Lennie as if he were a brother, “He ain't heavy, he’s my brother”. SD George really helps Lennie by getting him almost all of the jobs Lennie has ever had. CM An example of one of the jobs George has gotten him would be the last one that Lennie had. CM When George and Lennie first arrive at the farm. “The door opened and a tall old man came in behind him came George and behind George came Lennie”. SD George also provides refuge for Lennie. CM Lennie would most likely be homeless living on the streets without George. CM  Instead With George, Lennie lives in farm houses making money. SD Lennie would also not have any hope without George. CM Lennie needs hope to have happiness, he always is asking George to tell him about how one day they will own a farm. CM Lennie would always ask George this “Tell me like you done before” Lennie loved to hear George tell him about the house and the rabbits. CS I’m very glad George carries Lennie because he is one of my favorite characters in the book.
           TS My dad carries me by helping me with many of my problems. SD An example of my dad carrying me is waking up early in the morning, making me breakfast and then taking me to school. CM I would hate to have to wake up so early in the morning to drive a half an hour to school. CM Also, on some days my dad has to go to court right after he drops me off and if I had to go to court I would want as much slumber as I could get. SD Secondly, my dad helps me study for quizzes and tests. CM In sixth grade I used to study Latin with my dad. CM Although my dad did not enjoy studying Latin with me, he did because he knew it was an important thing for me to learn. SD Also in some of my previous writings my dad has liked to read over my essay for spelling errors or typos. CM On essay number one my dad was reading it after I shared it with him and he found a few capitalization errors in my essay. CM I’m sure my dad could be doing more interesting things then reading my essay but I’m glad he does read it because it helps me earn better grades. CS My dad is one of the nicest people I know and I’m glad that he carries me where ever i need to go.
           I’m glad that my dad carries me on his back and I’m sure Lennie is glad that George carries him. I am tremendously appreciative that my dad carries me because I would not be in such good shape. Lennie would not be in as good shape without George. This song explained a lot about my life and Lennie’s.



 

Self Assessment

    1. I am currently working on trying to have more transitions in my essays

    2. I think i had a large of sentences here that I really put a lot of time into writing them
    3. I think one weak point in this essay would be my concluding sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment